Member Spotlight – Mathieu Martin Portfolio Manager @ Rivemont

Sean Iddings

"Poker is a game that in the long-run if you make better decisions than the other people at the poker table you can be a long-term winner in the game. But in the short-term there is a lot of luck and back luck involved. You can make a good decision and have a bad outcome.."  🔥

• Like 6

Thanks for having me @Sean Iddings! It was a pleasure chatting with you.

@Sergio Heiber the recipe I've had the most success with in finding multi-baggers typically has the following criteria:

• Market cap between $25M and $75M
  • High revenue growth (40%+)
  • A clear tailwind in the industry
  • The company may or may not be profitable, as long as it could become profitable if needed (sometimes it's just better to keep reinvesting for growth). It's probably best when there's an expectation that they might raise capital because the investment banks and analysts will be all over it at some point.
  • A low starting valuation, sometimes due to being misunderstood or just being undiscovered by the investment community.

That being said, it's hard to build a portfolio with just this type of opportunity because it's rare (unless you want to be hyper-concentrated, which is not suitable for my fund).

So I also own stocks that don't check all these boxes yet. Maybe some of them will eventually. For the others, I'm mostly trying to buy them cheap, and if they get to fair value, I'll move on to something else.

There are many ways to make money in the market. I think of it as like a toolbox. I have many tools in it, and when I look at a new opportunity, I'll try to take out the right tool for the situation (long-term high conviction holding, small starter position, short-term trade, etc.).

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Great interview. Always enjoy the interviews with Canadians that don't invest in resources. 

• Like 5

At the rate of M&A, you will only be left with resource stocks. The way it should be 😆

• Haha 2